In this edition:
- All things change, except one
- Make a difference
- POEM: God Creates Anew
ALL THINGS CHANGE, EXCEPT ONE
Remember the web back in the 90s? Do you pine for those days when spam and bots weren’t a thing? Would you go back to those days and give up all the development that has occurred since then? I thought not.
Change is a given. It’s going to happen whether we like it or not. Things and people die, other things and other people are born. It’s not a cycle, but a progression. Time moves forward. We think it may move slowly or rapidly, but it does move. And is reaching toward the End.
Many changes are uncomfortable. They require we adapt and regroup. One that was recently announced is Google’s end to the free ride. They’re going to start charging for online storage, once you hit your limits. Of course, you were always paying, if not in cash.
One of those changes is happening to us now. For several years we’ve used a free email-group service. That may be coming to an end. After 30 years, the owner says he may terminate the service, since people aren’t using such groups as they once did.
So we must move on. We’re learning another page in the lesson: Host your own content. Own your data.
Following this principle, we’re moving the UPLift content online, to our Forthright Press website. We hope you’ll follow us by subscribing to the site’s blog. Pop that email address in the subscribe form at top right and reply to the confirmation email with full confidence of getting the best quality content around.
All these changes, large and small, remind us that we can’t stop the flow of this deep, moving river. The waters sweep us ever closer to the ocean of eternity.
We search for solid ground, something that doesn’t get carried along, an unmovable foundation. We find it only in the I-AM.
Scripture is adamant about the changeless God.
- “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a human being, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not make it happen?” Num 23.19.
- “For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed” Mal 3.6.
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever!” Heb 13.8.
- “All generous giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or the slightest hint of change” James 1.17.
The immutability of God comforts us. He is our solid Rock. It does not mean he is unconcerned or unmoved by our plight. On the contrary! It means that we can always count on him and his promise.
In a world of constant change, God is our great relief! He brings us stability. He gives us hope that we will not only survive the change, but use it to enter that place where blessing and life and joy remain forever.
Make a difference
The way to make an eternal difference:
- Obedience to the will of God in every circumstance.
- Prayer in the Holy Spirit about all things.
- Proclaiming the cross of Christ to all people.
Anything to add?
POEM: God Creates Anew, by J. Randal Matheny
Leave all regrets behind,
And see the opened doors;
Of bitterness clear your mind;
Give up the keeping of scores.
Don’t pine for moments lost,
For choices made in haste;
Go forward — leave the past —
Your worry is but a waste.
Our God is over all,
He speaks, creates anew,
Sends out today his call,
Would bring forth good in you.